Copyrighting your original work is a pivotal part of your creative process. With this, you may require assistance to obtain this protection in the first place, along with defending your rights along the way. This is when a copyright lawyer may be of benefit. Continue reading to learn how an experienced New Jersey copyright lawyer at The Ingber Law Firm can help you.
In what ways can a copyright lawyer help me?
To reiterate, you may need the help of a seasoned copyright lawyer when applying for a copyright of your original work. This is because this application process may be more complex than you initially anticipated. That said, a lawyer may be able to assist you with the following tasks:
- A lawyer may work on your behalf to file the necessary forms and fees for your copyright application.
- A lawyer may work on your behalf to determine if you need to submit your copyright application electronically or physically.
- A lawyer may offer sound legal advice as to whether you should preregister your work before it is finished or released.
- A lawyer may offer sound legal advice as to whether you should file a Special Handling Request Form alongside your application.
What’s more, a lawyer may offer you these additional services:
- A lawyer may evaluate the copyright implications of varying commercial transactions.
- A lawyer may obtain temporary restraining orders and conduct product seizures in cases of copyright infringement.
- A lawyer may protect your original work from copyright infringement via legal action.
- A lawyer may protect you from legal claims that you are infringing upon another party’s copyright.
What types of compensation can a copyright lawyer assist me in recovering?
Arguably the most pivotal time in which you may require the assistance of a competent copyright lawyer is if your original work is being infringed upon. This is because a lawyer may work on your behalf to commence litigation proceedings. They may then work to build a strong legal strategy that increases your chances of having a successful case. And with a successful case, you may be able to recover any or all of the following damages:
- The actual damages that you incurred, which is mainly the loss of profits of your copyrighted work.
- Statuary damages, ranging anywhere from $750 to $30,000, if calculating the actual damages is deemed challenging.
- The infringer’s profits from your copyrighted work, if this total is greater than the total actual damages that you incurred.
On the flip side, a lawyer may protect you from having to pay these damages if you are the defendant of a copyright infringement claim. So when it comes to your claim, there is no time like the present to get started. So please reach out to a skilled Essex County, New Jersey intellectual property lawyer from The Ingber Law Firm at your earliest possible convenience.