You are not required to register your original work. However, when you do so with the United States Copyright Office, you will be afforded certain protections. Such protections can be enforced in a United States court in any event that your original work is threatened. Continue reading to learn why you may need to hire a New Jersey copyright lawyer from the Ingber Law Firm to defend the ownership of your original work.
Why should I get a copyright for my work?
To reiterate, Copyright Law grants you exclusive rights that work to protect your original work. Such exclusive rights include the following:
- You will have recognized ownership over the copyrighted materials.
- You will have recognized control over how the copyrighted materials are reproduced.
- You will have the recognized right to sell, license, and/or transfer control of the copyrighted materials.
- You will have the recognized right to hold your work from being used without your explicit permission.
- You will have the recognized right to sue for damages from copyright infringement in civil court.
Specifically, if your original work is considered a literary, musical, dramatic, or audiovisual piece of work (i.e., a book, song, play, movie, etc), then Copyright Law allows you to publicly perform it. And if your original work is more so considered a pictorial, graphic, or sculptural piece of work (i.e., photograph, graphic design, webpage design, etc), then Copyright Law allows you to publicly display the work.
Why should I hire a copyright lawyer?
One of the most important reasons why you should hire a copyright lawyer is so that you can have assistance with protecting your copyright against infringement. Notably, infringement may occur in the following ways:
- Unauthorized reproduction of your original work.
- Unauthorized distribution of your original work.
- Unauthorized adaptation of your original work.
- Unauthorized public performance of your original work.
- Unauthorized public display of your original work.
It is illegal for anyone to infringe upon your rights to your protected work. So if this happens to you, you can file a civil lawsuit in federal district court. Overall, a skilled copyright lawyer from our firm will know how to approach these legal proceedings.
Why else should I hire a copyright lawyer?
From the moment your copyright is established, your original work should be placed under protection. With that being said, a seasoned copyright lawyer from our firm can assist you in any of the following copyright matters:
- We can obtain temporary restraining orders against copyright infringers.
- We can conduct product seizures against copyright infringers.
- We can grant assignments, licenses, and transfers of the rights embodied in your copyright.
- We can evaluate the copyright implication of various commercial transactions.
To retain our services, pick up the phone and schedule your initial consultation with us today.